Sunday, January 26, 2020

WEEK 2 READING RESPONSE

Calvin and Hobbes Collection by Bill Watterson


Having read Calvin and Hobbes from a very young age I was excited to reconnect with long forgotten stories I would flip through in my school library. I was always intrigued by Watterson's ability to capture elements of childhood and adulthood by merging the boundaries between them. His commentary on the subjective nature of reality through the metaphor of Hobbes- the character that we would sometimes see as a full grown tiger and sometimes as a stuffed toy. The ability to visually relay differently perceived reality successfully fascinated me, as I felt naturally carried from different worlds from panel to panel. The relationship that Calvin and Hobbes shared seemed to be so complex that it transcended the idea of a normal fantasy or imaginary friend. Also thinking about the dissection of comics using "Nancy" as a model- something we covered in Week 2, I was look at the panels with a new perspective of visual observation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14

Perry Bible Fellowship Almanak and Megg and Mogg Gurewitch brings a collection of strips that off hand reminded me a lot of the Cyan...