Monday, April 27, 2020

Week 10


BUDDHA tezuka


Re-reading the BUDDHA anthology was exhilarating. I had already been fascinated to come upon it at a young age in India, reflecting on the unique narrative of Goutama- an iconic figure through India. Going through the narrative years later, provided an extra set of eyes to experience the graphic novel through. I never noticed the fluidity of motion in the novel- perhaps I felt the effects of it (smooth reading and action packed scenes that don't feel disrupted), but I was able to pull back and reflect on how successful certain scenes were in capturing motion, action and exciting movement without you ever feeling like words and images are being read. I've also always been a fan of black and white imagery- black ink comics/graphic novels that don't use color. With the art of coloring being its own unique art, I feel as though its more often the case to lose visual depth and composition with a poorly colored novel. However, in black and white gradients, the minimalism assists your imagination in fulfilling the sense of depth and space in the composition without provoking a sensory overload. Especially in a narrative like this where there is a lot of movement and motion, drama and emotion, I enjoyed being carried through with simplistic but vivid imagery.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14

Perry Bible Fellowship Almanak and Megg and Mogg Gurewitch brings a collection of strips that off hand reminded me a lot of the Cyan...