Monday, March 2, 2020

Week 6 Reading Response

Crumb Cartoonist Track

I just re-did this older tiny comic strip concept I had into a style that resembled crumb- or was "crumb inspired." 




Original comic strip


Crumb style remake attempt


I found this Era to be particularly interesting due to my own personal fascinations with moments in cultures and history where there have been shifts in consciousness- whether it be the bicameral mind and the incorporation of language, the revolution of material goods, entertainment and art or the chaos of the human experience (sex, drugs, war). Artists like Jodorowsky were reminded to me, artists like him and Crumb that dared to explore the raw grit of the honest human experience in hard times, in hard places and around hard people- (pun intended). The contrasted ink work also serves well to the concepts of grit, grime and underbellies- as the harsh lines and emphasized strokes give a sense of distortion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14

Perry Bible Fellowship Almanak and Megg and Mogg Gurewitch brings a collection of strips that off hand reminded me a lot of the Cyan...